Tuesday 22 May 2018

"Go dtí go saorófar mná na hÉireann ní chuirfear i gcrích fuascailt na bhfear" - Hanna Sheehy Skeffington

To be rather ignorant, I can't wait for this referendum to be over. I'm finding it hard to walk down the road, have a conversation or just scroll through social media without opinions being shoved into my face. But you see I'm a bit of a hypocrite. Because I'm not actually sick of both sides being shoved in my face. But rather one side. A backwards side. Am I wrong for writing that? Probably! I have been brought up in a democracy. I have lived 29 years where in my life, everyone has different opinions. Women have fought for them. Sure aren't we entitled to them? But right now I just can't except the opinions of what are coming from some people during this referendum. In fact, having heard the opinions of some people, some people that are close to me, I don't think I can ever look at them in the same way. I would be much more grateful if I hadn't heard their thoughts. Their two cents. I would be blissfully ignorant. Because I actually feel angry when I think about them now.  How am I supposed to talk to them normally when all I feel is disgust in the pit of my stomach? Is it immature of me to not see past that this is their own opinion and that they are entitled to it? I wish I could, but I can't! I have a side ways head tilt now when I talk to them. Because I just can't get my head around the backwardness of it all. And I'm frightened. I'm frightened for the future of this country. Frightened at what the outcome of this referendum may be. Frightened that Ireland may still be in a backwards state.

Educate yourself. Understand what this referendum is really about. And visit refcom2018.ie that produces an independent guide.

All I know is that we have an opportunity to use our vote this Friday. A vote that past women (and men) have fought tiresomely for. While I won't tell you who to vote for, and I haven't told you who I am voting for, all I can stress is the urgency and the importance of expressing our right to vote.  Don't abandon that.

"Until the women of Ireland are free, the men will not achieve emancipation" - Hanna Sheehy Skeffington

1 comment:

  1. Thank God, my search about Clothing and Fashion ended here. The blogs you produce incurs the much to my knowledge. The skills that are established strongly on the knowledge are very much in demand. I would like to add that your writings adds knowledge to my skills.
    very cheap clothes uk

    ReplyDelete